Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Giving Thanks


I have a built in circadian rhythm for Thanksgiving. I’ve read countless recipes, I’ve gone over to-do lists, read helpful hints and gravy recipes. I haven’t ordered a turkey or gone into Portland for cheese. I didn’t stock up on fresh Oregon Coast cranberries and Columbia Valley wines. I won’t have to ask forgiveness for killing a beautiful creature or feel the remorse for having been responsible for its death.  I won’t be making WAY too much stuffing, but I will be thinking of you.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I plan weeks in advance. I actually spend more time planning that one meal every year than I did this entire trip (which is why I arrived with only 1 pair of jeans).  I am a feeder, so the concept of a food holiday rooted in gratitude and shared with friends and family is truly a reason to celebrate: giving thanks, the harvest, a prelude to winter, I love it all.

Instead of turkey and cranberries I’ll be cooking pumpkin soup and flatbreads, holding you dear in my heart. I can’t quantify how Africa has changed me, but I certainly know that I am more thankful this year than ever before. YOU make my life sparkle, your friendship and love are truly the most precious of gifts.   This year I am grateful for you and wish you and your loved ones a very Happy Thanksgiving.

All my love,
Corrin

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I'm thankful to have met you along your journey. You're both wonderful people.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    XO Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're good stuff Craig! We weren't about to let you get away. Happy Thanksgiving to you. You and Raymond have been with me frequently <3

    What are your plans now that your back on American soil?

    XoXo,
    c

    ReplyDelete